By Lucky Mwewa Chama | November 22, 2020
Zambia Under-17 mens national team captain Miguel Chaiwa says the team missed a lot of chances in their match against disqualified Comoros Islands.
Speaking in an interview Chaiwa said the team played well against the Islanders and created a lot of chances that were not converted.
We played well but we had many chances which we created yet we only scored two, which is not good for us, Miguel said.
The Under-17 skipper says despite the change in the format which will see the young Chipolopolo take on Angola in the opening match, the teams target remains winning the title.
He said the team should remain focused against an Angolan side which will be looking for revenge in this years edition of the championship after they suffered defeat in last years competition.
Looking forward to the next game which will be against Angola (today), it will be a tough game for us; we are supposed to be focused since we beat them last year. They (Angola) will come with full force, aiming high so that they can beat us so we need to focus in the next game, he said.
He said changes in fixtures have raised the confidence and morale in the camp and the team is still determined to achieve the targets which were set at the start of the tournament.
This has given us full confidence and morale in the camp and since the Technical Director told us the fixtures have changed, we need to be very focused, aiming and patient (in our games). Our target is to win all the three games, we are supposed to lose of the three matches, said Miguel.
The 2020 COSAFA Mens Under-17 Championship will restart as a four-team tournament today and will be played on a round-robin basis, with the top two teams advancing to a final on November 29.
Zambia Under-17 will this afternoon face Angola at 12:30Hrs and the George Chilufya drilled side will be looking for a strong start. Hosts South Africa opens their campaign against Malawi at 15:30hrs.
The disqualification of Botswana, Comoros Islands, Eswatini, and Zimbabwe from the 2020 COSAFA Mens Under-17 Championship based on fielding over-age players has forced a reset of the competition which will now start on Sunday.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) Youth Competitions Committee decided to disqualify the teams from the zonal qualifier tournament for the 2021 Africa Under-17 Cup of Nations on Friday.
The quartet all had at least one player fail their magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans that were conducted in the Host Country before the start of the competition. MRI scans are used across the world to determine whether players are eligible for Under-17 competitions in particular.